Just have a desire!






Just wanted to give some detail (other than my profile) about painting with oils.  I only started when I was given a chance to have a babysitter and, with a friend, we decided to take a 6 week summer class given by the city.  This was years ago. There was an artist there who helped an entire class.  When she said, "Here is your canvas and the first thing I want you to do is to "prime it." Really?  I had no idea what she meant. She said to pick up my brush and just cover the whole canvas with white.  How? What direction? I must say she had a lot of patience, but I was one who had absolutely NO experience!  I did as I was told (after she showed me how).  The next thing I was supposed to do was pick out a picture in a magazine I wanted to paint.  Really?  Here I go again.  What kind of picture?  How big or little? She helped me pick one.  It was a mountain scene-trees, lake, rocks.  OK, here I go.  She told me what brush to use and to kind of paint a basic outline.  Help!  Every step of the way and each week she helped me with everything.  How could I not be a challenge for her but I guess she was up to it.  So, today I am saying that I literally started from an extremely limited background but, at least it was a background.  So many people compliment me on my paintings and say they can't do it.  But, my story says that, if you have a desire, then start somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment